Adult Interest Section
Amy Dinkel Van Valkenburg firstname.lastname@example.org
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Favorite online resources for Adult Interest Section members!
- Dave’s ESL Café www.eslcafe.com
- Many activity ideas and links to other sites. Extensive job postings and discussion boards.
- The Internet TESL Journal http://iteslj.org
- Lesson plans, activities, links, research articles and more. Popular “Conversation Questions” page.
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt graphic organizers www.eduplace.com/graphicorganizer/
- A variety of downloadable and printable graphic organizers for both adults and children.
- Discovery Education Puzzlemaker http://puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com/
- Make puzzles using vocabulary you choose. Fast and easy.
- Breaking News English www.breakingnewsenglish.com
- Current news stories written with ELLs in mind and recorded for use in listening lessons. Complete with pre-reading/listening activities, reading/listening activities and follow-up.
- Mpls ABE Online Computer Lab http://mpsabe.mpls.k12.mn.us/abe_computer_labv2.html
- Links by level and theme that learners can self-navigate.
- Classroom Assessment Techniques www1.umn.edu/ohr/teachlearn/tutorials/active/strategies/index.html
- New American Horizons www.newamericanhorizons.org
- NAH is a foundation with the goal of producing professional quality teacher training videos for dissemination at no cost to the consumer. There are two core lesson videos available for viewing, six more are slated to be available soon. Extra footage will be made into “themed videos”, ones in which a particular technique is highlighted.
- ESL Library www.esl-library.com
- You must pay for a membership to this site (roughly $40/year), but you will have access to scads of lesson plans and flashcards.
- Wordle www.wordle.net
- Wordle creates word clouds out of text you provide. Use it for pre-reading, discussions, word-finds or just for fun.
- Jennifer ESL www.youtube.com/user/JenniferESL
- YouTube page. Jennifer has over 170 video lessons that are excellent for both students learning English and teachers / education students.
- English with Jennifer www.englishwithjennifer.com
- Same Jennifer as above. This site has lesson plans, study tips and a blog.
- Bow Valley College’s extensive resources for teachers of low-literacy adult ESL: http://www.esl-literacy.com/
- ALLESL (http://allesl.com)
- Supports English learning for adults and children