MinneTESOL’s Strategic Plan
Approved at the Fall 2019 MELEd Conference
Outcome 1: Educate
Promoting and assisting the development of programs focusing on ESL:
- Strategy 1 – Provide guidance and financial support to Greater-Minnesota and Twin Cities Metro-area English language learner practitioners to host networking events such as workshops or conferences, or to create or support educational projects.
- Strategy 2 – Increase and diversify engagement with and among MinneTESOL members and other English language teaching professionals from diverse backgrounds.
- Strategy 3 – Strengthen and reinvigorate connections and partnerships statewide to promote and assist programming relevant to English learners and English language teaching professionals.
- Strategy 4 – Uphold excellence for the profession through the communication of guidelines, standards, and educational policy directly affecting English learner populations in the state of Minnesota.
Outcome 2: Advocate
Voicing the socio-political and employment concerns of our members:
- Strategy 1 – Advocate for sound policies and practices for English language teaching locally.
- Strategy 2 – Develop and maintain local and national partnerships with advocacy organizations and community-based nonprofit organizations to affect policy change related to English learners and English language teaching professionals.
- Strategy 3 – Empower MinneTESOL members and community partners to be effective advocates for their students, their programs, themselves, and for one another.
- Strategy 4 – Provide employment resources for membership, including notices of job opportunities on the MinneTESOL website and in the monthly newsletter
Outcome 3: Elevate
Fostering the professional development of our members:
- Strategy 1 – Continue to offer high-quality professional development opportunities at the annual Minnesota English Learner Education Conference through engagement with nationally renowned keynote speakers and sessions with evidence-based practices highlighting practical tools and/or strategies for teachers.
- Strategy 2 – Disseminate and leverage relevant, thought-provoking content through the MinneTESOL Journal, linking theory and practice of interest to teachers, researchers, teacher educators, and the many others whose work touches the lives of English learners.
- Strategy 3 – Collaborate with regional TESOL affiliates to attend and present at their respective conferences, fostering a greater understanding of the issues and opportunities for EL professionals.
- Strategy 4 – Identify and pursue opportunities to increase and diversify MinneTESOL’s membership.
- Strategy 5 – Increase the consistency and effectiveness of communication with membership regarding English Language Learning events and opportunities.